6.18.2011

Overgrown

That was how I would describe our yard when we moved in. And really a lot of it was dead from freezing last winter and not getting water for months. It took us all day last month to make a noticeable dent in it only to be right back at it today.
We moved from what couldn't even really qualify as a yard to lots of trees, grass, bushes, and even citrus trees. And since we are just so happy to have a yard we enjoy working in it. Crazy to say while it is so hot-and I will probably feel different in July or August- but I have always enjoyed working in the yard. Its what I grew up doing...spending Saturday mornings working in the yard...it's where I learned to work and its where we are teaching the girls to work.

This is the pile from last month's yard work marathon. The picture doesn't justify the massive pile it was. Can't believe we did it alone. So glad the city does 'bulk pick-up' once a month! We fully intended to have the family over for a fun-filled day of helping us dig out, but we got going and the kids were occupied so we just kept going. I'm sure our neighbors were watching from inside their houses and laughing at us...Walking back and forth from the backyard to the street with branches, vines, trash bags...everything, as you can see from the pile that is almost as tall as the house across the street!
We vowed that the yard will never, ever get that crazy again and we will be very cautious of what we plant...low maintenance will be key! For now we are enjoying seeing our fence , we even found a giant grape vine (which we were happy to keep!), and being able to see the kids playing in the {now green} grass when we look out the window!!

No comments: