I'll have to add a picture later because I know just the one.
I'm in a light pink bathing suit and I am jumping off the diving board, bravely I think, into the deep end.
I was maybe 5? Yeah, I think I was around 5.
Anyway we were at the Rhodes Jr. High Public Pool.
It was the place to be in the summer.
"Back in the day"...am I old enough to use that term? I must be, cause there it is.
I loved the snack bar there. My mom provided $.50 for each of us...
Lemonheads were my candy of choice and just the perfect snack after a few hours of swimming.
The radio used to play the coolest radio station around, Power92...Mariah Carey, Paula Abdul, Vanilla Ice.
My mom would pull up into the narrow hill so we could see her through the gate and we knew to hurry up.
It was time for showers and dinner, because we stayed all day, of course.
I thought I was so brave diving off the boards.
Not the high dive though.
I climbed that ladder and turned around to see the baseball fields and Baseline road.
It was SO high up...long jump down into the cool turquoise blue water.
Then I grew up a little and swimming there wasn't so cool anymore.
I swam with friends, or just laid out...cause we were so cool. (haha)
Well, I grew up a little more, had kids & our nearby junior high pool is suddenly cool to my kids.
They long for the frog slide and Pringles in the snack area.
I take pictures of them diving off the boards because someday they will remember what it was like to put on their favorite swimsuit of the season and splash into the deep end.
What seems like an easy way to keep the kids happy and wear them out a little is actually creating memories for them. Memories of these hot summers and the only way to get through them.
And I, in my very sentimental way...am all about that.
I'm in a light pink bathing suit and I am jumping off the diving board, bravely I think, into the deep end.
I was maybe 5? Yeah, I think I was around 5.
Anyway we were at the Rhodes Jr. High Public Pool.
It was the place to be in the summer.
"Back in the day"...am I old enough to use that term? I must be, cause there it is.
I loved the snack bar there. My mom provided $.50 for each of us...
Lemonheads were my candy of choice and just the perfect snack after a few hours of swimming.
The radio used to play the coolest radio station around, Power92...Mariah Carey, Paula Abdul, Vanilla Ice.
My mom would pull up into the narrow hill so we could see her through the gate and we knew to hurry up.
It was time for showers and dinner, because we stayed all day, of course.
I thought I was so brave diving off the boards.
Not the high dive though.
I climbed that ladder and turned around to see the baseball fields and Baseline road.
It was SO high up...long jump down into the cool turquoise blue water.
Then I grew up a little and swimming there wasn't so cool anymore.
I swam with friends, or just laid out...cause we were so cool. (haha)
Well, I grew up a little more, had kids & our nearby junior high pool is suddenly cool to my kids.
They long for the frog slide and Pringles in the snack area.
I take pictures of them diving off the boards because someday they will remember what it was like to put on their favorite swimsuit of the season and splash into the deep end.
What seems like an easy way to keep the kids happy and wear them out a little is actually creating memories for them. Memories of these hot summers and the only way to get through them.
And I, in my very sentimental way...am all about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment