8.30.2008

"Y" me? (dedicated to all the wives who feel my pain)

Today is a day that men around the country have been looking forward to for months. My husband included. I love my husband... I really do, he's a great husband & dad, a hard worker, he's makes us laugh, and he can be really passionate about all the things he loves. Some of those things are me, our girls, our families, his testimony, and- football. Not just football, college football, and not even just college football... BYU football. Until Brady I had never seen anything like the competitive and borderline obsessive behavior that consumes my man every Saturday for 3 months! (except when they have a "bye- week" - thank goodness for that Saturday)
This affliction has not always been such a problem for me. Once, we went to Logan, UT for a game and that was a fun road-trip and even entertaining game! One night we left in the middle of the night to go to a game in Vegas and that was a really fun trip and the game wasn't too bad either. 2 years ago we went to Tucson for a game and ate a really good dinner, then I actually had a good time at the game. I don't mind going to any kind of sporting event now and then...
So, last year I had just decided to learn to love that about him and be happy that he had something to be so excited about each week. That plan was going well until one Saturday when Brady was watching a game he got so excited about a play that he jumped up and when he landed it was on one of the girl's Fisher Price Little People toys!! He actually cut his foot (I was shocked it was blue!- isn't that a BYU thing?) pretty bad and had to be on crutches for like a week-and-a-half! (he should have gotten stitches asap, but the game wasn't over) Who likes a sport that causes so much pain, not only to the players, but to the fans as well??
One thing we agree on is that DVR is essential to our happiness during football season! He can actually leave the house on Saturdays without too much stress!
I'm not just writing this because I am from Logan and I should be an Aggie fan, because I am not. I am not competitive at all and I recognize that is why I can't understand what Brady goes through. But yeah, we are working together to find a harmonious place for college football, even BYU football in our family! Here it is honey--- the first and the last time you'll ever hear me say it--- "go byu."

5 comments:

jordan and kat said...

I love it! Good to know someone else's husband is so addicted to sports.... We seriously need to get together. What do you have going on this week?

Farrah said...

That is hilarious! My hubby loves AsU football, but luckily I can talk him into doing something else if it isn't that important of a game. Love your title!

Jeff said...

Girl... I hear ya! Jeff is the same way and it kills him not to live in Provo this year with the sweet stretch of home games. Luckily, I'm an Alumni so I get bragging rights... Jeff's "just a fan". :)

Anonymous said...

Amen! While Ryan isn't obsessed with football, he is obsessed with Basketball. And the season lasts much longer than 3 months (try 7 months!). It's crazy and frustrating - but what can you do? :) At least it's fun to watch their reactions... they turn into little boys!

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Your husband is- without a doubt- one of the biggest BYU fans I have ever met. You should probably make sure to time your pregnancies so that you are never due during football season... what if you went into labor during the 3rd quarter? You'd be delivering at home... =)