10.14.2008

If You Don't Know Me Very Well...


then you don't know that I really love to do yard work. So, this is what I did this morning. Don't seem so shocked... I don't mind getting dirty (as long as I can shower that "outside" smell off asap! ) This house doesn't have very much of a yard at all, but it is perfect for the girls and so fast & easy to maintain, so I took over. I usually stand at the door and tell Brady how I need it done anyway so I thought I should just try a less annoying approach this year and take care of it myself! It's not that he doesn't know what to do, but I grew up watching my dad be meticulous about this kind of thing and it rubbed off on me.
I think I learned how to plant winter lawn when I was 15 and I HATED to do it then, but it is something I am glad that I know how to do now. There are so many things like that- you grow up and understand why your parents thought it was so important that the whole family be up and outside working together Saturday mornings. Between our small yard and the HOA maintained front yard our family hasn't quite adopted that tradition yet, but someday we will and hopefully my girls won't mind too much when I go in their rooms on Saturday morning at 7am (after a late Friday night) and turn off their ceiling fan (nothing makes me more furious to this day...a lesson Brady learned early:) and turn the light on to get them to join us outside!
*One more thing: the song I put on my playlist is one I can remember my dad humming/ singing to himself as he worked. I remember just being mad in general that he was so cheerful that early in the morning! ...sorry dad- love ya.

2 comments:

Tara Fisher said...

Don't tell Keith you did this, he is always trying to get me to do yardwork and I refuse.

justin & mallory coffman said...

haha. you're funny carlie. i really liked this post! I would offer to come help you....haha but maybe we should do lunch or something else instead. :)